#juris doctorate degree
Online Accredited Juris Doctor (JD) Degree Programs
Harvard University started awarding these degrees in the 19th century as a more advanced version of the old European doctor of law degree. It will not be wrong to say that Juris doctor degree is an end result of the evolving thought process of the scientific study of law. Usually; it is a degree which is a primary specialized training for lawyers – a three year program in general everywhere.
United States host a lot of School of law with Juris doctor degree courses and some of the best online law colleges for J.D. and LL.M. degree Programs. Online accredited law degree programs for Juris doctorate degrees and attaining JD Degree Skills are also very popular.
What exactly is a Juris Doctorate – is it a Bachelors, Masters or Doctoral Degree?
Juris Doctorate is a first professional degree. It is not a terminal degree alike PhD which is the highest degree one can dream to attain in a respective field. This is an entry level degree or a first degree. It is also called a professional doctorate degree alike M.D program in the medical field.
Juris Doctor is a first professional Doctorate degree in law. Colleges and universities in the United States of America and common law countries offer the Juris Doctor degree. These degree holders are the qualified and certified individuals who practice law dedicatedly. Primary responsibilities include seeing that the laws are maintained and endorsed in varied situations. They practice in a variety of fields including
- Criminal Law
- Personal Injury
- Family Law
- Corporate law
Juris doctor degree requirements are to clear an examination to attain a license for practicing law in the respective jurisdiction. All those who clear the bar examination as a prerequisite; are then recognized as attorneys or lawyers and add up a suffix esquire (Esq.) or J.D. It is not necessary that all the Juris doctor degree holders appear for the bar examination, hence not necessarily all the Juris doctor degree holders are licensed lawyers or attorneys – varied jurisdictions may take their own call.
Initially the idea behind introducing a Juris doctor degree was to replace the degree of Juris doctor bachelor of laws. Juris doctor degree represents the professional recognition that the degree holder has attained doctoral in law. Considering the tenure of study in order to attain the degree; usually lawyers in America – the name change carried and showed its significance.
It also serves as a prerequisite fulfillment for some of the designations and programs in the financial world. Recent trend is of colleges and universities offering joint degrees and dual degrees – MBA and Juris Doctor. It is helpful to students for completion of both the degrees in less than required tenure separately for each one of it and also is considerably cost effective.
It is a three year program with syllabus is taught with the help of logic and analysis theories – which may vary from institute to institute. To everyone s surprise the syllabus has not changed since inception which happens to be a rigorous study of the significant law and its skilled application. It is a entry level to skilled law practice.
Legal expertise have become and inevitable aspect to success and hence Juris doctor degree holders have ample opportunities and are employed mainly with
- Consultative firms
- Law firms
- Private corporations
- Various levels of government
Juris Doctorate Career Opportunities
- Banking and finance
- Civil defense attorneys
- Corporate counselors
- Human resources
- Professional litigators
- Public service
Top online accredited Juris doctor degree programs Joint Degree – Dual Degree
As said above; recently a few of the colleges and universities have initiated offering dual degree programs along with Juris doctorate degree. Individuals who are interested in making careers in other fields and not law – or want to specialize within the segment of law may enroll themselves for such programs which are complimentary to a Juris doctor program. LL.M – Master of laws happens to be a good example of such programs.
Joint Degrees include:
- Master of Arts in International Law – Legal principles and practices of various cultures and countries
- Master of Criminal Justice – Court systems, Enforcement services and correctional institutions
- Master of Laws – Specialized field of law Taxation, Finance, Environmental law and many more
- Joint JD Master Degree Programs
- J.D./LL.M. in Taxation
- Juris Doctor and Master of Science in Public Service Management
- Master of Social Work – Juvenile representation, Family law mediation, Child support enforcement and many more
Dual degrees include:
- Master of Arts in Political Science – Public policy, Political office, International law and many more
- Master of Education – Careers in legal academics
- Master of Science in Labor Relations – Corporate law and human resource management
- Master of Sports Administration – Contract negotiation, Legal compliance and Sports management
- Juris Doctor Master of Business Administration – Leadership and Legal skills to unite the management
- Certificate in business law
- First professional degree in law
- J.D./LL.M. in International Law
- J.D./M.A. or Ph.D. in (Economics, History, Philosophy, or Politics)