Campus: New Brunswick and Newark, NJ
Accreditation: MSCHE (university), AACSB (business school)
Base Program Cost: $11,815 per semester (NJ residents / full-time)
Per Credit Hour: $985 (applicable for NJ residents who are enrolled part-time)
Minimum Time Commitment: 24 months (15 units max per semester)
Online Concentrations: (Flex MBA Program Concentrations) Accounting, Analytics and Information, Management, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Global Business, Marketing, Marketing Research Insights and Analytics, Pharmaceutical Management, Strategy Leadership, Supply Chain Management, Customized MBA Concentrations
On Campus Requirements: Yes (main or satellite campuses)
Rutgers University was originally chartered in New Jersey as Queen’s College in 1766. The college’s name was eventually changed to Rutgers College in 1825. The university derives its namesake from Colonel Henry Rutgers, whose philanthropy allowed the financially struggling institution to keep its doors open. Since then, Rutgers University has grown to encompass four campuses with about 65,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students enrolled.
Rutgers offers several options for earning a degree online. These degree pathways include Master of Public Administration, Doctor of Nursing Practice, or even a Master’s in Language Education. While Rutgers does not offer a full-time online MBA program, the university’s pioneering “Flex” MBA program provides students with added flexibility when earning their business degree. Through this program, MBA candidates have the opportunity to craft their own part-time schedule and create a curriculum that best suits their lives outside of academia. Courses under the Flex MBA program can be taken at one of the university’s four campuses in New Jersey, as well as online (when available).
Rutgers University has been accredited since 1921 by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE). This commission, which belongs to the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA), is recognized by the U.S. Secretary of State as an organization that accredits universities in several states along the Mid-Atlantic coast. Since 1989, Rutgers has also been a member of the Association of American Universities, an organization that is comprised of 62 of the country’s leading research universities. Both the Traditional and Flex MBA programs at Rutgers are currently accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), which was founded in 1916 as an accrediting organization for schools of business.
Rutgers University offers the following MBA options:
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Specializing in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Specializing in Analytics and Information Management
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Specializing in Entrepreneurship
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Specializing in Finance
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Specializing in Global Business
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Specializing in Marketing
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Specializing in Marketing Research Insights and Analytics
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Specializing in Pharmaceutical Management
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Specializing in Strategy Leadership
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Specializing in Supply Chain Management
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): Custom Specializations
Each MBA specialization comes with its own unique curriculum of specialize courses, as well as core courses that are taken by candidates across all MBA specializations. These core business courses include Accounting for Managers, Financial Management, and Organizational Behavior. In addition, students should also select from a list of foundation courses, which can include courses in Business Communication, Law and Legal Reasoning, and Strategic Management. Students must also take a selection of elective courses that reflect their areas of specialization and interest.
As with many universities in the United States these days, Rutgers is continuously evolving its MBA program offerings with the busy professional lives of their students in mind. While the absence of a complete online MBA program will keep many students who rely on distance learning from attending Rutgers, its Flex MBA program is definitely a step in the right direction. The 60 credits needed to complete the Flex MBA program can be earned at Rutgers main campuses in Newark and New Brunswick. They can also be earned at the university’s two satellite campuses in Jersey City and Madison. In some cases, undergraduate students earning a bachelor’s degree who meet certain conditions may enroll in the Rutgers Flex MBA program concurrently.
In order to apply for an MBA program at Rutgers University, you must be able to provide the following items:
- A completed online application from the school
- An application fee of $73
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate schools attended
GMAT or GRE test results
To be eligible for Rutgers University MBA programs, students must have earned an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution (unless concurrently enrolled in an MBA program at Rutgers as an undergraduate) and must have completed at least one full year of calculus, upper level probability and statistics, linear algebra and differential equations. While there are no minimum GPA or test score requirements, these factors play a significant role in a student’s chances for acceptance to the program. During the 2011-2012 academic year, Rutgers University admitted 47 students out of 420 applicants to their MBA program.
Tuition and Financial Aid
Below is a breakdown of fees and tuition charges for both full-time (Traditional MBA) and part-time (Flex MBA) students.
- Tuition New Jersey Residents $11,815 (per semester)
- Tuition Out of State Residents $20,314 (per semester)
- Campus Fee $758.50
- Computer Fee $153.50
- NJPIRG Fee (optional) $11.20
- School Fee $349.25
- International Student SEVIS Fee $125
- Tuition New Jersey Residents $985 (per credit)
- Tuition Out of State Residents $1,693 (per credit)
- Campus Fee (per semester) $255
- Computer Fee $71 $146
- NJPIRG Fee (optional) $5.50
- School Fee $164.25
Financial aid is offered through Federal, State, University and Business School sources. Awards are based on merit as well as financial need. In most cases, financial aid is awarded to citizens and permanent residents of the United States. In order to be considered for need-based awards from the federal government, students should ensure that they complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the appropriate deadline.
Why Rutgers University?
Rutgers Business School is accredited by AACSB International, the highest standard of business school accreditation worldwide. In addition, Rutgers Business School is ranked quite highly in the following areas:
- #1 Public MBA program in NYC region – US News World Report, 2012
- #3 MBA program in NYC region – US News World Report, 2012
- #3 MBA Supply Chain Program, nationwide – Gartner Supply Chain Leaders, 2011
- #10 in awarding 10 or more degrees to Fortune 500 CEOs – US News World Report, May 2012
- #30 in employment outcomes – US News World Report, 2012
As the numbers clearly show, Rutgers University is a great choice for students throughout the world who wish to enroll in a top MBA program. The school’s Flex MBA degree pathway is an excellent option for working students and professionals who wish to craft an MBA program schedule that fits their needs. While the university has yet to offer a full-fledged online MBA program, students who are able to attend classes at one of the university’s four campuses in New Jersey will not be disappointed by the quality and flexibility of the education they receive.