Health Care Card
A Health Care Card entitles you to cheaper prescription medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS).
You may be eligible for other concessions from the Australian Government. Some of these concessions may also be available for a dependent child.
Benefits could include:
- bulk billing for doctor s appointments, as decided by your doctor
- more refunds for medical expenses through the Medicare Safety Net
- assistance with hearing services through the Office of Hearing Services
- discounted mail redirection through Australia Post
State and territory governments and local councils may offer concessions such as:
- energy and electricity bills
- healthcare costs, including ambulance, dental and eye care
- public transport costs
Please check with your state and territory government about what concessions are available to Health Care Card holders. Concessional entitlements may vary between states and territories.
When using Medicare services, you need to present your Medicare card.
Once you have read about eligibility the next steps are:
- find out if you need to submit a claim or will automatically get one before you start
- register an intent to claim
- choose your claiming option
- provide supporting documents
- submit your claim
- we will assess your claim and let you know the outcome
Your Health Care Card is issued for 1 year from the date you are granted the qualifying payment.
It is automatically renewed annually if you remain eligible for that payment. If you receive:
- Sickness Allowance. your Health Care Card is issued for the period of the current medical certificate up to a maximum of 13 weeks
- Carer Payment (Child) episodic or short term care, your Health Care Card is issued for a period of 26 weeks
If you have a concession or health care card, you can also access a digital image of it from the Digital Wallet on the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.
Lost or stolen cards can be replaced. A replacement card will be sent to you by mail. It cannot be issued over the counter at a service centre.
You can request a replacement card by:
You need to tell us if your circumstances change while you hold a Health Care Card for instance, if your income goes up, you start or return to work, or you change your address.
If you stop receiving your payment, we will automatically cancel your Health Care Card.
If you return to work, you need to ask us whether you can keep your Health Care Card for a short time.
There are concession card rules that might affect you if you leave Australia .
To remain eligible for a Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession Card while you are outside Australia, you must continue to meet the qualification rules for your card.